Monday, January 24, 2011

New Years Lifestyle

Oh boy, already the end of January? I have a feeling this year is going to flyyy, as always. Anyways, during the holidays, I decided to not even attempt to eat healthily or exercise, and lived in gluttony for a couple weeks. The food was just too good and too available, and I know better than to pretend I have the self-control to stay away. However, with the start of the New Year, I did the expected tradition of promising myself a "new me" by beach season. I faced the swarms of newcomers at the gym, fought to the death for a mat spot in the classes, and began a strict regimen of waking up at 4:45 a.m. so that I could hit the gym before work (mostly because I know I just want to eat dinner and go to bed after I get home). Then one day at work, I received an e-mail from a co-worker informing everyone that "a few of the regular PMC members are unable to participate and they are looking for new volunteers". I had heard about the PMC before, and it was all good things. The Pan-Mass Challenge is a 2-day, 200 mile bike ride from sturbridge, MA to Provincetown at the tip of the Cape. The riders fundraise money for the ride, and 100% of all proceeds contributes to life-saving cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. First thought: Fantastic cause, I'm in. Second thought: 200 miles..?! Uhhhh... pretty far. BUT I knew that it was 7 months away, and after doing a bit of research, realized that that was more than enough time to train. Plus, I have been trying to set athletic goals for myself rather than worrying about what my weight is or how my jeans fit. It is far more rewarding to run a new distance, and it makes me curious to see how much farther I will go the next time.

So... long story short, I signed up, and could not be more excited!! I've set a financial plan for myself so that I can save up for a good road bike, and have mapped out a training plan for myself, while setting mini-goals like a 10K in March, and 1/2 marathon in mid-May. This not only incorporates cross-training, but will build my endurance, and confidence!

The fundraising minimum is $4,500 per rider, which seems a bit daunting at first. But, I know that if I start now, I will get a lot of support from my friends and family. Plus, we do a corporate-hosted auction at work which contributes to our fundraising.

All in all, between fundraising and training so that I don't pass out after 20 miles, I think I have enough motivation to keep me active for at least the next 7 months- much longer than any physical goal I have set for myself in the past. Not to mention, all of the veteran riders that I have talked to have told me how addictive it becomes. Needless to say, I'm hooked. I went to spin class tonight after 6 days of "I'm waaaay too tired to work out". Even though I was tired and ALMOST backed out, it felt amazing to be back on the bike, and I could feel a smile break across my face as I conquered the hills and jumps.

Stay tuned for the fundraising "marketing" that I am working on.

If YOU feel inspired, and want to contribute to this incredible cause- visit my donations page by going to: http://www.pmc.org/profile/KD0146

No comments:

Post a Comment