Monday, November 8, 2010


A new favorite thing to do of mine: grab a delicious hot beverage and the Barnes and Nobles Starbucks, and sit in a comfy chair for, potentially hours, delving in to books and magazines! I don't utilize my library much because it is so small, and most books of value have to be sent from other surrounding libraries. As I am impatient and a "gotta-have-it-now" kind of girl, the bookstore is a great way to find out about the latest and greatest. I don't feel guilty about reading in-shop either, because I always find at least one thing that I just can't leave without. One of the fun finds I found is Caffeine for the Creative Mind by Stefan Mumaw. Inside are quick, fun activities and exercises, with witty playful graphic layouts and typography.

I've begun working at an incredible architecture and interior design firm in Boston, and am helping out in the Graphics department as well as interiors. While I did not major in graphics, I have always had a strong attraction to graphic layouts, typography, and visual presentation in general. With this new position, I began researching and studying up so that I was knowledgeable on the job. I found How Magazine, which is a fantastic resource for Graphic Designers. The particular issue I picked up was dedicated to Promotional graphics and identity packages, which really caught my eye as I had just finished mine. I found this resume by Kenny Barela very fun and creative.



The most useful feedback I have received is the importance of standing out when sending a resume, especially in this economy. At a recent work party, the C.O.O. of the company (who I had mailed my package to) approached me and said, "You would not believe the crazy things people send us that we just toss aside. Or they will send us only a resume, in which case we will also just toss aside without looking at it." I am happy to say my mailing teaser is still decorating the desk of the Head of Human Resources.

It may derive from my appreciation for graphics, but I think it is imperative in ANY design-related field to visually present yourself well, and to stand out.

Many of my classmates from college that studied graphic design have incredible work, and very impressive websites to prove it. If they did not present their work in such a professional, attractive way, it would not do justice to the actual projects.

Here are a few websites of talented friends. Visit them for inspiration or just for a little entertainment for your day!

http://www.roxannewhitedesigns.com
http://www.caitlinsanchezdesign.com
http://www.alexflannery.com
http://akcreative.net

No comments:

Post a Comment